GDG- Lost Cause and Inevitibility

CWMHTours at aol.com CWMHTours at aol.com
Mon Jan 23 09:31:26 CST 2012

George-

That is such a wonderful analogy!

May I have your consent to use it in my tours?

"Just  the facts, ma'am."

Your Most Obediant Servant
Peter

In a message dated 1/23/2012 10:27:08 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
georgeconnell at mac.com writes:

Esteemed  GDG Member Contributes:
An analogy: if I were to pick a fight with Mike  Tyson I would lose unless
he lost interest.

Like all analogies, this  breaks down at some point, but any objective
study of comparative war making  capabilities leads one to the conclusion that
the North was going to win as  long as it maintained the will to fight.

While there are occasional  exceptions, the outcome of modern symmetric
warfare is determined by  resources, not by bravery, not by strategy, not by
wacky racial theory. Hence  the rise of today's asymmetrical conflicts.

Interesting aside: in  "Desertion During the Civil War," Ella Lonn points
out that one of seven Union  soldiers and one of nine Confederates deserted.
(My thanks to Jack for putting  me on to this great little book.)

Regards,

George

On  Jan 22, 2012, at 18:44, joadx1 at netscape.net wrote:

> Esteemed GDG  Member Contributes:
>
> It is a challenge to add anything to Ms.  Blough's always accurate and
complete explanations of things, but I would like  to try to add some related
information to the southern sense of superiority  that she notes: this is
the fact that southerners not only felt socially and  culturally superior to
northerners but also racially superior.  As James  McPherson explains (with
documented quotations) in Battle Cry of Freedom, the  south concocted a
theory that the southern colonies were populated by  Norman-descended Cavaliers,
while the New England Yankees were descended from  Saxon-descended Round
Heads who were fit only for slavery.  Southern  rhetoric at the time was filled
with master race echoes that went well beyond  justifications for chattel
slavery.  They really did believe that one  "southron" could defeat ten (or
more) "yankees."  This is why, as Ms.  Blough clearly explains, it was only
when they were actually were forced to  face defeat that they suddenly
"discovered" that they never had a  chance.

> This raises a somewhat related fact.  The  presentation of the southern
fighting man virtually always completely ignores  some facts that the members
of this group are well aware of: ie., that not  only did huge numbers of
confederate soldiers desert the colors during the war  but that huge numbers
of southern men resisted the military draft that Davis  instituted (before
Lincoln ever did) because an insufficient number of  southerners were
enlisting "to defend their homes."  More profoundly,  after the one year enlistments
of the first rush of volunteers ran out, Lee  saw to it that their one year
enlistment contracts were voided (talk about  abuse of individual liberty)
and converted into enlistments for the duration  of the war.  If southern
men were so intent on fighting to defend their  homes and families, they would
not have needed to be forced to do so through  conscription and the forced
conversion of their original enlistments.

> In short, any version of the war that presents the Civil War as some
sort of Wagnerian grand opera, with Lee in the role of Sigfried and with the
south suffering some sort of inevitable Götterdämmerung against the evil
Yankee frost giants who were destined to win anyway, not only ignores the less
romantic facts of the case but has a Lost Cause air to it.

North
> and certainly superior in  military talent. They did not believe the
North could
> get itself  together enough to resist and they believed that, even if it
did,
>  such resistance would be ineffectual. Most were certain that the UK and
France
> would come to the South's support because of their dependence on  "King
Cotton."