GDG- Fw: Confederate cavalry on July 1, 1863

Matt Diestel agatematt at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 18:48:29 CST 2012

> Esteemed GDG Member Nancy Householder Contributes:
>

> Hello all- getting back to Gettysburg-  a friend of mine sent me this
> email and I am sending it on to the GDG
> to get some assistance from you, for this question.
>
> Thank you for all your help
> Nancy Householder
> Westminster, MD

  Have learned long ago to take anything Harry Gilmor wrote postwar with a
big grain of salt if not the whole shaker.
   First off, seriously doubt that Gilmor was any where near Gettysburg
while the fight through the town was going on,  but it is possible that
Ewell would use Gilmor's cavalry as part of his provost guard later on that
evening.
   However, there is absolutely now way  Gilmor and his horsemen swept up
any part of the 149th New York since that unit was part of Greene's
Brigade, Geary's Division of Slocum's XII Corps and did not arrive on the
field until the first day's fighting had ended. The regiment did end up
playing a dramatic and crucial part in the battle on the evening of July 2
when Greene's Brigade repulsed the repeated and determined assaults of
Johnston's Division on Culp's Hill. And given the steep wooded terrain, it
was no ground for cavalry.
               With regards,
                    Chet