GDG- Lost Cause and Inevitibility

CWMHTours at aol.com CWMHTours at aol.com
Sun Jan 22 17:22:00 CST 2012

George-

I find myself a bit confused by what you posted.

What exactly do you mean by the "Lost Cause"  line?

I do believe that if the North had the will to resist  Southern secession
that the South was doomed.

But that depended on Lincoln.  Clearly the nation was  fortunate to have
the right man in the right place.

But, for the sake of discussion, in the spring of 1861 let's  say Buchanan
or George McClellan were (was?- the posts on language in here scare  me.)
president and decided to let the South go in peace without a war than that
would have been the end of it.

Had James Buchanan had a second term I can't see him raising  the might of
the North to bring down wrath on the South.

And certainly Lincoln was not elected in the fall of 1860  because his
supporters envisioned and predicted civil war.  It was just  good fortune the
nation had him.

Or, maybe, an act of God (Thank you God.)

"Just  the facts, ma'am."

Your Most Obediant Servant
Peter

In a message dated 1/22/2012 5:32:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,