GDG- Lost Cause and Inevitibility

ATMackeyJr at aol.com ATMackeyJr at aol.com
Sun Jan 22 16:44:07 CST 2012

In a message dated 1/22/2012 5:40:11 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
denlaw at gojade.org writes:

Esteemed  GDG Member Contributes:

>Esteemed GDG Member Contributes:
>I  have long been bothered by the belief that anyone who maintains
>that  the South's defeat was inevitable as long as the Union retained
>the  will to fight is a  "Lost Causer!"
>
>I think this is an  utterly realistic assessment of the 'correlation
>of forces' and a  great example of why the South was nuts to risk  war.

Hello,

I am not familiar with this  definition of a lost causer.  To me a
lost causer is a person who  tries to perpetuate the myth that the war
was not about slavery, but  states rights, and the associated ideas
that go with that - War of Yankee  aggression, Lincoln the tyrant,
Black Confederates, Confederate flag  apologists,  etc.

Take Care

Dennis
The idea of the valorous confederates fighting a romantic war they  were
destined to lose anyway is vintage lost cause along with what you've
identified.

Best Regards,
Al Mackey