GDG- Lost Cause and Inevitibility

ATMackeyJr at aol.com ATMackeyJr at aol.com
Sun Jan 22 16:38:54 CST 2012

The many advantages the confederacy had.  Their huge amount of  territory
had to be conquered and held, which means siphoning off troop strength  for
garrisoning areas, thus negating the manpower advantage the Federals  had.
They had a tremendous advantage in leadership at the beginning  of the war.
They had interior lines, which meant they could reinforce  areas faster than
the Federals could move troops to reinforce points, a further  negation of
the manpower advantage the Federals had.  What could they have  done if Lee
hadn't lost so much manpower in fruitless attacks such as Malvern  Hill?
And the Federals retaining the will to fight is not a given.

Best Regards,
Al Mackey

In a message dated 1/22/2012 5:15:24 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,