GDG- Lost Cause and Inevitibility

William Richardson general.jackson at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 22 16:32:11 CST 2012

From: George Connell <georgeconnell at mac.com>
To: GDG <gettysburg at arthes.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2012 5:14 PM
Subject: GDG- Lost Cause and Inevitibility

Esteemed GDG Member Contributes:
I have long been bothered by the belief that anyone who maintains that the South's defeat was inevitable as long as the Union retained the will to fight is a  "Lost Causer!"

I think this is an utterly realistic assessment of the 'correlation of forces' and a great example of why the South was nuts to risk war.

What am I not getting?

George

Now George, You know that just because the South was out-manned and out-supplied...That had NOTHING to do with it....wink wink

As far as the South being nuts to risk war always remember "It isn't the size of the dog in the fight, it is the size of the fight in the dog".

Respectfully,

     William Richardson
     Mount Gilead, North Carolina

" The direct cause of the outbreak of the War Between The States was slavery; the direct object of the prosecution of the war was the preservation of the Union. "