GDG- ACW & PTSD

Batrinque at aol.com Batrinque at aol.com
Sun Jan 22 16:01:21 CST 2012

In a message dated 1/22/2012 4:28:39 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
madpd2001 at yahoo.com writes:

Bruce,  et al, found the same study you did in the Archive of General
Psychiatry.  Looks like they relied on pension records. Must admit to being
ignorant of the  caliber and quality of the information in them, how complete,
etc. What do  they generally contain? Might the vet have a motive to
exacerbate symptoms? On  the other hand the stigma attached to mental illness was
much greater then  than now (although we still have a ways to go as a society
IMHO)

I have not dug heavily into the study, but I think that a major direction
of focus was on age of death (and from what identified cause), mapping that
against the age of enlistment, whether or not a POW, how heavy the wartime
casualties had been in their unit.  And these were not all "mental health"
issues by any means, with cardiac problems and gastro-intestinal
difficulties  being of major interest.  The primary focus was not bumping veterans up
against non-veterans, but how veterans varied within that population, with
differences linked to their prior service.

Bruce  Trinque
Amston, CT