GDG- Is we is or is we ain't a Union?

cameron2 at optimum.net cameron2 at optimum.net
Sun Jan 22 12:46:55 CST 2012

<< And as a veteran university professor, I can say that the situation is hopeless.>>

OK, perhaps one or another of the professorial types here can finally set me straight on which version of an expression I've used fairly often in the past with regard to Gettysburg is correct:

1.  None of us was there when it happened.
or
2. None of us were there when it happened.

I've probably used both interchangably over the years.  I'm guessing that # 2 might be the correct choice, on an "I was" - "We were" basis, "us" being plural, but am willing to stand corrected.  As I said before, English grammar was always somewhat lost on me.

Jim Cameron