GDG- Shelby's Foote in His Mouth

Tom Ryan pennmardel at mchsi.com
Sun Jan 22 06:54:31 CST 2012

<<So he thinks if African Americans read the confederate constitution they
wouldn't oppose display of the confederate battle flag.  And emancipation of
the slaves was a sin.  The slaves drifted into peonage with no agency among
southern whites whatsoever.  Really, Shelby?>>

For what it is worth, I attended a Lee-Jackson Day ceremony on Saturday
hosted by a local Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp.  I have gotten to know
the commander of the Camp well, and he has participated with me in a local
CW presentation.

This past July, this SCV Camp was invited to take part in our town July 4
parade.  The Camp agreed, but later withdrew when they were informed by the
parade officials that they could not display the Confederate flag.

On Saturday, I discussed this incident with the Camp commander, and asked
him whether he and other SCV Camps had considered displaying the Confederate
national flag, rather than the battleflag, at public events -- which would
be much less controversial.

The commander's response was immediate and adamant that he would not
compromise his standards about displaying the battleflag in honor of the
heritage of those who fought under its banner.  Once he got onto this
subject, frankly it was difficult to divert him to something more amenable
and less controversial.

It is difficult to find a reasonable solution or compromise on this issue.
Our CWRT displays both the American and Confederate flags at our meetings.
At a public ceremony in our town hall last April in commemoration of the
beginning of the CW, both flags were on display.

However, officials remain reluctant to have the battleflag on display in
outdoor events, for fear of a backlash.

Not sure what the answer to this problem is, but it certainly does exist.

Regards, Tom Ryan