GDG- Shelby's Foote in His Mouth

joadx1 at netscape.net joadx1 at netscape.net
Sat Jan 21 23:12:11 CST 2012

You see, I knew there was a lot more to it. :>)

Very nice piece of documentation.  Particularly nice catch on Garry Wills.  I didn't know this.

I can add one little bitsy piece that is directly relevant to Gettysburg.  Foote gave an invited speech at Gettysburg in which he insisted that the confederate soldiers buried there should be honored exactly as the Union soldiers were.  As Mr. Mackey documents, this represents a severe misunderstanding of what the Gettysburg address was all about.  Maybe Foote needs to read the confederate constitution.