GDG- FW: CW Discrencies

ATMackeyJr at aol.com ATMackeyJr at aol.com
Sat Jan 21 21:45:09 CST 2012

Example:  Shelby claimed that it was the Civil War that caused the
grammatical change from referring to "the United States are" to "the United  States
is."  That's pure hogwash.  It was part of the evolution of  American
English from British English.  "United States" is a collective  noun.  Even
today, British English refers to collective nouns in the  plural, such as "the
team are playing tomorrow."  In American English, we  now refer to collective
nouns in the singular, such as "the team is playing  tomorrow.

Best Regards,
Al Mackey

In a message dated 1/21/2012 11:54:35 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,