GDG- Now: CW PTSD was: Custer: G'burg, LBH & Philbrick

Batrinque at Batrinque at
Sat Jan 21 09:46:59 CST 2012

In a message dated 1/21/2012 10:03:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
mdblough1 at writes:

I  think it would be very tough, in the absence of ability to ask follow up
 questions, to distinguish between the fact that being in combat changes a
person (also complicated in the Civil War by the fact that, in some cases,
the  person might be years older than when hen left) and an incapacitating
mental  disorder. One case in which I know it's suspected is Tom Chamberlain,
Joshua's  younger brother. Tom drank himself to death.
And I suspect that professionals (psychologists, psychiatrists) use "PTSD"
much more narrowly than we laymen do, a specific condition meeting a strict
and  narrow set of defined criteria, whereas we everyday history buffs
loosely apply  the tern to a broader range of post-combat behaviors that do not,
strictly  speaking, fit that technical description.

Bruce  Trinque
Amston, CT