keith mackenzie bluzdad at
Sat Jan 21 08:34:58 CST 2012

Bill: So listen, your book, would it be accessible to a reasonably literate layman, or is it more a technical manual for the military health professional?
I find the direction this thread has taken to be personally intriguing.

"Hello! I'm The Doctor." (Dr. Who)

From: "CWMHTours at" <CWMHTours at>
To: gettysburg at
Sent: Saturday, January 21, 2012 9:14 AM
Subject: Re: GDG- Now: CW PTSD was: Custer: G'burg, LBH & Philbrick

Esteemed  GDG Member Contributes:
In research for my book: Broomstick to  Battlefields: After the Battle the
Story of Henry Clay Robinett, at first  it was quite clear to me that he
suffered from PTSD.  I met with  numerous Army psychologists & psychiatrists
and they drew quite a few  interesting conclusions from the evidence (we
numerous letters from  Robinett written both during and after the war).  He
was a victim of  Mild Traumatic Brain Injury from a head wound at the battle
of  Corinth.  This is also one of the symptoms our soldiers exhibit  today
from IEDs.  He also exhibited numerous PTSD symptoms.  Their conclusions
were fascinating; what they could extrapolate from his  letters and actions
was quite startling.  My book goes into  great detail on this and to
Robinett's actions.

There is a  study that looks at both Vietnam and the Civil War related to
this topic:  Dean, Eric T. Jr. Shook Over Hell Post-Traumatic Stress:
Vietnam, and the  Civil War.  Cambridge, Massachusetts: Harvard University
Press,  1997.