GDG- Now: CW PTSD was: Custer: G'burg, LBH & Philbrick

CWMHTours at CWMHTours at
Sat Jan 21 08:14:44 CST 2012

Good post.  Thank you.
"Just  the facts, ma'am."

Your Most Obediant Servant

In a message dated 1/21/2012 9:03:53 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
bspeer at writes:

Esteemed  GDG Member Contributes:
In research for my book: Broomstick to  Battlefields: After the Battle the
Story of Henry Clay Robinett, at first  it was quite clear to me that he
suffered from PTSD.  I met with  numerous Army psychologists & psychiatrists
and they drew quite a few  interesting conclusions from the evidence (we
numerous letters from  Robinett written both during and after the war).  He
was a victim of  Mild Traumatic Brain Injury from a head wound at the battle
of  Corinth.  This is also one of the symptoms our soldiers exhibit  today
from IEDs.  He also exhibited numerous PTSD symptoms.   Their conclusions
were fascinating; what they could extrapolate from his  letters and actions
was quite startling.   My book goes into  great detail on this and to
Robinett's actions.

There is a  study that looks at both Vietnam and the Civil War related to
this topic:  Dean, Eric T. Jr. Shook Over Hell Post-Traumatic Stress:
Vietnam, and the  Civil War.  Cambridge, Massachusetts: Harvard University
Press,  1997.