GDG- GDG - Southern Generals Birthdays

Jack Lawrence jlawrence at kc.rr.com
Fri Jan 20 21:27:43 CST 2012

Maybe because it was the SCV holding the ceremony?

I hasten to add that I really don't have a problem with this particular set
of statues.

You know, Baltimore is still a schizoid town when it comes to the civil war.
The street between the old train station and camden yards is called
FirstBlood street and, as everyone knows, it wsa a hotbed of secession (and
a key stop on the underground railroad).

A few years ago, a docent told my two oldest grandsons about how Lincoln
"shredded" the constitution at ft. McHenry (want to feel real pride, watch
your grandsons raise the replica flag at Ft. McHenry.)

I explained the truth later. A few minutes later a porter relayed not only
the story of First Blood street, but pointed us to the train station
Frederick douglas escaped through (on First Blood street.

most people though just assume that maryland was a loyal Northern state in
the civil war.

(As opposed to Missouri, where most in southern Missorri think they were a
loyal Confederate state during the war occupied by the Union. Which is why
the *** **** *******'* just left the big 12 for the SEC).

A pox on them.

:>)

BTW:
Agree the cause of the war was slavery; and many at the begimming felt that
it was all about Union-and Lincoln certainly sold it that way. But in the
nations soul, it was time to abolish slavery.

take a look at Fortress Monroe.