GDG- Custer: G'burg, LBH & Philbrick

CWMHTours at aol.com CWMHTours at aol.com
Fri Jan 20 09:05:46 CST 2012

Mike-

1.  Agree.

2.  If you ever can, go visit LBH.  When I went  there and actually walked
the hills and all the decades of wondering what  happened disappeared.
Suddenly all the pieces came together.  And  when you keep in mind that this was
insurgent guerilla war and the Indians would  hit and run and the heavier
more clumsy cavalry couldn't catch them Custer's  motives and actions can be
explained.  The Northern Plains horsemen, the  dog soldiers, have been
called the finest light cavalry in the  world.

The Indians rode with only a blanker and a rifle or spear in  their hand.
The cavaly first had a saddle.  Water.  Food.   Usually a peg and rope to
tether the horse.  A carbine.  Ammo.   Maybe even a saber.

Now who is gonna win the race?

If you wanted to arm chair general it on a Monday morning yes,  Custer
should have done a real reconnaisance.  He might even have wanted to  consider
that maybe just this once, just this once, the Indians miught not run  away
like they did every single other time.  Had he known that days in  advance
instead of trying to catch the Indians that they would for the first  time try
to catch him he might have taken the Gatlings and kept his forces  together
and set up the defensive camp on Reno hill instead of riding up and  down
steep ridges.

Instead all he knew was a big camp and the Indians always ran  away.  The
purpose of Terry's campaign was to finally catch the  Souix.  He found them.
And before they could run away he wanted to  attack and trap them.  The
purpose of Benteen's column in fact was to guard  Reno's left flank and prevent
the Indians from escaping  that  way.

You can understand and explain Custer's actions.  Maybe  you can't excuse
it tho.

3.  Sins?  Custer had sins?  ;-)

4.  I think PTSD among ACW vets was pretty common.   I guess it was one of
the conccrns of the Grand Army of the Republic that many  vets were mentally
incapacitated by something mentally and had trouble taking  care of
themselves.  But drinking and "odd" behavior on the part of  officers was common
before the war.  Ulyses Grant out west comes quickly to  mind.  It may have
increased after the war but it  preexisted.

"Just  the facts, ma'am."

Your Most Obediant Servant
Peter

In a message dated 1/20/2012 9:03:21 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,