GDG- Custer: G'burg, LBH & Philbrick

Tom Barrett tbarrett21 at cox.net
Fri Jan 20 08:44:06 CST 2012

I've read...more than a half dozen books on the subject and IMHO Philbrick's
is head and shoulders above the rest.  Even after all of the others read, I
don't think I really understood what happened until I'd read Philbrick.

I'm not familiar with anything like a serious study of PTSD in the post-CW
period.  If anybody knows of one, I, for one would be interested.

I have heard that cavalry troops suffered terrible disabilities later in
life.  Long term horseback riding is apparently every bit as rough on the
human frame as frequent PLF's.

Regards,

TB