GDG- Custer (and Gettysburg) On the Tube Again

ATMackeyJr at aol.com ATMackeyJr at aol.com
Thu Jan 19 17:07:48 CST 2012

In a message dated 1/18/2012 8:02:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Batrinque at aol.com writes:

Esteemed  GDG Member Contributes:

The senior captain of the regiment -- Frederick  Benteen -- was a certified

Custer-hater (of course, if you read much  of Benteen's private
correspondence,  you find that Benteen hated  just about anybody ever
placed in a
position of  authority over him  and a lot of other people besides) and
Major Reno
(second in   command) at the Little Big Horn was no great fan either.  On
the
other  hand, many of the junior officers seem to have been well  disposed
towards Custer.  It would be safe to say that overall  the Seventh  Cavalry
was
not exactly a Henry V Band of  Brothers.

Bruce  Trinque
Amston, CT
That's my understanding also.  The regiment was fractured into  at least
two camps--pro-Custer and anti-Custer.  Personally, I blame Custer  for that.

Best Regards,
Al Mackey