GDG- Custer (and Gettysburg) On the Tube Again

Batrinque at aol.com Batrinque at aol.com
Thu Jan 19 07:59:26 CST 2012

In a message dated 1/19/2012 8:50:04 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
georgeconnell at mac.com writes:

Add to  that getting himself and everyone with him killed and I have to
wonder what he  had to do to be judged incompetent!

Perhaps not having a fundamentally very successful military career for the
preceding decade and a half?

"incompetent", to me, describes a longterm, even permanent, level of
performance.  Certainly Custer made mistakes at the LBH, given the  situation
that actually existed rather than what he incorrectly believed to be  the case,
but to me that one day does not equal incompetence, given his history  and
regardless of how spectacular the consequences.  Robert E. Lee pissed  away
far more lives at Malvern Hill and in the PPT Charge than Custer did at the
LBH, but I don't view REL as incompetent.

Bruce  Trinque
Amston, CT