GDG- Custer (and Gettysburg) On the Tube Again

Batrinque at aol.com Batrinque at aol.com
Wed Jan 18 20:31:35 CST 2012

In a message dated 1/18/2012 8:20:27 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
CWMHTours at aol.com writes:

I  visited LBH in 1984 and the fire predated my visit I   believe.

While fire was destructive they apparently were very happy  at  all the
artifacts they found.

A real big thing was  that near Last Stand Ridge there was a  large coullee
down the  slope  Many soldiers tried to use it for refuge and  escape.
The
NPS always wanted to do an archeological survey as to what was   down there
but I guess the place was full of heavy brush, boulders,, and  most
importantly,  rattle snakes.  I guess the place was  thick with  them.  I
recall the
ranger saying that they were  terrified of  it.

But with the fire the snakes were cleared out  and suddenly  this treasure
of artifacts was  exposed.

Deep Ravine, it is called.  No boulders, but I bet there were  rattlesnakes
there.  (The last time I was at the LBH, I saw a nice  little rattler right
on Last Stand Hill.)

One thing interesting was the jaw bone of Mitch Boyer(?  I  think).  I know
his name was Mitch and was a trusted  scout.  It was  only a portion of the
jaw but there was evidence  of a heavy use of a pipe and  the teeth showed
the
wear and  tear.  They apparently went into forensics  and could match the
jaw with Mitch.  One clue was at least one picture of  him with  a pipe
exactly
where the teeth were distorted.

Mitch Boyer, Indeed.  Or Mitch Bouyer (there is no agreement on the
spelling).  And more than part of a jaw bone -- enough of the facial bones  to
permit a positive match with photos of Mitch.  It was not found in Deep  Ravine
itself, but at one of the markers in the line of "gravestones" that lead
down to Deep Ravine.

Another thimg very interesting was that many of the  Indians  had better
weapons than the cavalry.  I guess they  found rounds from  Henry rifles.

Henrys and Winchesters -- whereas the troopers carried single-shot
Springfield carbines.  Of course, some of the Indians had only older  weapons or
bows and arrows.

Bruce  Trinque
Amston, CT