GDG- Custer (and Gettysburg) On the Tube Again

CWMHTours at aol.com CWMHTours at aol.com
Wed Jan 18 19:29:01 CST 2012

I think leaving the Gatlings behind was a smart move.   Custer's plan was
to move fast to catch the Indians.  The Gatlings were  about as heavy as any
light arty.  It would have slowed them a lot as they  were going cross
country.  It's pretty rough country out  there.

Plus the Indian attack unrolled so fast there really wasn't  much time to
find a good site for them.  If you can see panaramic pictures  you'll see
what I mean.  Plus The ridge seems like a pretty lousy place to  try to use any
kind of arty effectively as it was so hilly and broken up.   And with the
Indians at 360' where are you going to shoot?  Turn one way  and they come in
behind you   Turn the other way and they are over  there too.  One of the
reason attributed to the quick demise for the 7th  was that the ridge left
them pretty exposed on both sides.  How are you  going to set up a Gatling
without being pretty likely to get shot  there?

"Just  the facts, ma'am."

Your Most Obediant Servant
Peter

In a message dated 1/18/2012 3:59:36 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,