GDG- Custer (and Gettysburg) On the Tube Again

Batrinque at aol.com Batrinque at aol.com
Wed Jan 18 19:02:20 CST 2012

In a message dated 1/18/2012 7:55:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
CWMHTours at aol.com writes:

I would  suggest that not all the men in the 7th were "friends"  of Custer.

I've read that he was well-despised by a good proportion if not  the  men
and officers.

The senior captain of the regiment -- Frederick Benteen -- was a certified
Custer-hater (of course, if you read much of Benteen's private
correspondence,  you find that Benteen hated just about anybody ever placed in a
position of  authority over him and a lot of other people besides) and Major Reno
(second in  command) at the Little Big Horn was no great fan either.  On the
other  hand, many of the junior officers seem to have been well disposed
towards Custer.  It would be safe to say that overall the Seventh  Cavalry was
not exactly a Henry V Band of Brothers.

Bruce  Trinque
Amston, CT