GDG- Custer (and Gettysburg) On the Tube Again

Batrinque at aol.com Batrinque at aol.com
Wed Jan 18 16:40:13 CST 2012

In a message dated 1/18/2012 3:59:36 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jlawrence at kc.rr.com writes:

The  problem with Custer is that, at Little Big horn he refused the use of
:

1) Buffalo Soldiers (could not fight, despite what he should have  learned
in
th ACW;

What the heck are you talking about?  There were no "colored" Army  units
available anywhere near the Little Big Horn.  In 1876 there were none  in
Dakota or Montana and there was never any offer of any such unit to serve  with
Custer in that campaign.

2)  Gatling Guns (I thionk this decision to leave them behind reminds me of

Stewart).

The Gatling guns were drawn by condemned cavalry horses and had proven a
major hindrance to mobility earlier during earlier phases of the campaign.
And even if they had someone made it to the battlefield, the nature of the
terrain is such that their utility would be problematical -- lots of hills
and  ridges and ravines and hidden ground.

Bruce  Trinque
Amston, CT