GDG- BG Harry Hayes - Louisiana Tigers

Jack Lawrence jlawrence at kc.rr.com
Wed Jan 18 15:07:38 CST 2012

They also "opened" their ranks to freedmen who had relatives still enslaved
with a promise of freedom for their relatives.

The most egregious of this sort were the freedman with wives who were still
slave who rented the marital beds for a dollar a week. They were cut off if
not enlisted.

Even so, these were "bandbox" soldiers, used for display purpose. Only one
unit was ever put in harms way, on a barrier island, but withdrawn prior to
any action.

See: Thank God My Regiment's an African One: The Civil War Diary of Nathan
W. Daniels by Nathan W. Daniels From LSU Press.

Rergards,

jack