GDG- Killing Lincoln

Batrinque at aol.com Batrinque at aol.com
Mon Jan 16 12:39:09 CST 2012

In a message dated 1/16/2012 12:33:18 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
CWMHTours at aol.com writes:

Where  would I find reference to Mudd being in DC and looking  for  Booth?

At the Conspiracy Trial on June 3, 1865, Marcus P. Norton testified that he
 was in his room at the National Hotel when: "A person hastily entered my
room on  the morning of the 3d of March, I think.  He appeared somewhat
excited,  made an apology, and said that he had made a mistake; that he wanted to
see Mr.  Booth. ... I recognize the person, Samuel A. Mudd, as the man who
entered my  room on that occasion."   This can be found in Steers's "The
Trial" on  p 177.  Norton also testified about seeing Atzerodt and Booth in
conversation at the National Hotel.

William A. Evans testified (p 174) that: "About the 1st or 2d of March last
 -- certainly before inauguration day -- I saw Dr. Samuel Mudd, with whom I
have  a slight acquaintance, drive past me as I was driving to the city in
the morning  ...  I let him drive past me, but I followed him up to the
city, never  losing sight of him."

The inauguration took place on March 4th.

Bruce  Trinque
Amston, CT