GDG- Mudd & Surratt's guilt

John Grim jgrim1941 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 11:27:51 CST 2012

Esteemed Members

Booth and Herold arrived at Dr. Mudd's around 4:00 a.m. on April 15th.  It
is unknown whether either of them told Dr. Mudd about the assassination.
 Dr. Mudd asked carpenter John Best to make a pair of crutches for Booth.
Dr. Mudd rode into Bryantown, Md (nearby) later that day on errands.  If he
didn't hear of the assassination from Booth or Herold he most probably did
hear while in Bryantown.  When Mudd returned home later that evening theere
are conflicting accounts of whether Booth & Herold had left or whether they
left a bit afterwards. Mudd waited until the following day (Sun) when he
asked his cousin Dr. George Mudd to inform the authorities (13th NY
Cavalry) who were in Bryantown.   As early as April 18th he denied knowing
either Booth or Herold....  Subsequent information showed that he was being
far from truthful.