GDG- Killing Lincoln

Batrinque at aol.com Batrinque at aol.com
Mon Jan 16 07:54:07 CST 2012

In a message dated 1/15/2012 7:49:56 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
CWMHTours at aol.com writes:

You make  a good point about whether the endorser actually read  the book.

It seems too frequently that it appears that they haven't read  the  work.

Once in a while you encounter a blurb by an endorser which makes it fairly
obvious that the endorser was not wholly thrilled by what he/she read, but
is  providing a minimal comment which does not really praise the book while
not  actually condemning it either.

I was a bit disappointed that Surratt Tavern had "Manhunt"  and  was sold
by
them.

They actually have excellent  works of real history  there.  I'd prefer to
have them promote  that stuff and not a book full of  make believe.

Yes, yes, I know that you despise Swanson's "Manhunt" (oh, I see James
McPherson provided a highly favorable blurb, as did Doris Kearns Goodwin, Ed
Steers, and numerous others).  While I personally might have refrained from
some of "visual" scene-setting details and representations of thought
processes  that come from no eyewitness account, I consider it overall to be a
good solid  history -- that is h-i-s-t-o-r-y -- of the aftermath of the Lincoln
 Assassination; the author made up no quotes and invented no events.  Ed
Steers writes "most important, [Swanson] gets it right, down to the smallest
detail."  And I trust Ed Steers' word on this subject.

Bruce  Trinque
Amston, CT