GDG- Killing Lincoln

Batrinque at Batrinque at
Mon Jan 16 07:54:07 CST 2012

In a message dated 1/15/2012 7:49:56 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
CWMHTours at writes:

You make  a good point about whether the endorser actually read  the book.
It seems too frequently that it appears that they haven't read  the  work.
Once in a while you encounter a blurb by an endorser which makes it fairly
obvious that the endorser was not wholly thrilled by what he/she read, but
is  providing a minimal comment which does not really praise the book while
not  actually condemning it either.

I was a bit disappointed that Surratt Tavern had "Manhunt"  and  was sold

They actually have excellent  works of real history  there.  I'd prefer to
have them promote  that stuff and not a book full of  make believe.
Yes, yes, I know that you despise Swanson's "Manhunt" (oh, I see James
McPherson provided a highly favorable blurb, as did Doris Kearns Goodwin, Ed
Steers, and numerous others).  While I personally might have refrained from
some of "visual" scene-setting details and representations of thought
processes  that come from no eyewitness account, I consider it overall to be a
good solid  history -- that is h-i-s-t-o-r-y -- of the aftermath of the Lincoln
 Assassination; the author made up no quotes and invented no events.  Ed
Steers writes "most important, [Swanson] gets it right, down to the smallest
detail."  And I trust Ed Steers' word on this subject.

Bruce  Trinque
Amston, CT