GDG- Tipton Park

Nancy Householder pipecreek1430 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 15 15:52:23 CST 2012


If you noted the reference to the selling of gin at the stand, and the fights,
not to mention the loss of limbs from drunks falling off the trolley,
in today's world that trolley line would have lawsuits upon lawsuits which
would have put it out of business faster than anything else!
In those days people weren't so quick to sue, and they chalked things like this
up to accidents, or carelessness due to drinking. People would say, gee it was
your own fault for being so drunk! 


Nancy Householder



________________________________
 From: Nancy Householder <pipecreek1430 at yahoo.com>
To: Gettysburg Discussion <gettysburg at arthes.com> 
Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2012 12:17 PM
Subject: GDG- Tipton Park
 
Esteemed GDG Member Contributes:
With the completion of the Trolley line around Devils Den and through
the Valley of Death to LRT in May of 1894 visitors could travel from town
all the way to Round Top Park and back again. With the popularity of 

Devils Den, "Tipton Park quickly became the stopping place for excursionists
 on the trolley line.
It began as a small park  located in the Rose woods, just south of the Wheatfield,
on the land then owned by William Wible. Improvements made to the grounds
included:  a dancing pavilion 70 x75 feet, two eating stands, 30x30 feet,  two
cedar water pumps, tables and benches. Picnics were held there on weekends
 to draw people out on the trolley, and agreement was drawn up with Wible for
a payment of $5 per excursion.
Over the years the park was expanded to  about 13 acres. Tipton built a dark room
for the development of plates and storage for his equipment. He also erected a 

dancing pavilion, 40x50 feet with a 10x12 foot bandstand, water closets for
ladies and gentlemen,  sheds for stabling and sheltering horses and a few swings
for the children to play on.
Besides the tintype gallery  and photographic business, Tipton Park also supplied
souvenirs, relics, lunches and refreshments, and catered large parties for families,
excursionists, and Sunday School groups. Mary Tipton, William's wife, ran the 

restaurant and among the most popular items were ham sandwichs, soup, soft drinks
lemonade,  ice cream and cigars.  


According to a Tipton descendant, one of the main features of the stand was selling gin.
On more than one occasion tourists got a little much and caused bloody fights and riots.
Several were known to have lost arms or legs due to falls under the moving trolley,while
they were no where near a state of sobriety.

By 1902, Tipton's land was turned over to the government after condemnation procedings
had finished and the value of the land established.

And so ends the story of Tipton Park-  Nancy Householder
----------------http://www.arthes.com/mailman/listinfo/gettysburg_arthes.com -to unsubscribe
http://arthes.com/pipermail/gettysburg_arthes.com/ for Archives


More information about the Gettysburg mailing list