GDG- Killing Lincoln

CWMHTours at aol.com CWMHTours at aol.com
Sun Jan 15 08:30:23 CST 2012

"The Surratt woman"?

If you are talking about the Surratt Tavern it is quite  shocking that you
would call a it a "traitor museum"?

And quite a stretch of fact, .... in fact.

It is a  MD state owned museum operated by the Surratt  Society  (Online
_www.Surrattsociety.something_ (http://www.Surrattsociety.something) )  that
attempts to tell 2 stories.

The first is the role of S. Md. in the assassination,  specifically one
place, Booth's first stop on his escape.  The whole whole  of S Md- the 4
counties were nearly 100% rebel.

Secondly,  frequently to my dismay, a presentation of  rural life in the
1860s.   The docents go into the family rooms, the  accommodations for
travelers stopping by the tavern, and other facets of  existence at the time.  They
go into how post offices work at the  time.  They take you into 2 dining
rooms.  One for the family and  one for travelers.  They have a large kitchen
where they spend time talking  about laundry and ironing clothes.

I think you make a completely ignorant accusation of what they  do there.

And if you are worried about traitors...  and  treason,  then by your
standard we should burn down the White House,  the Capitol, and otherwise
eliminate our government and turn the population of  the United States to be turned
over the Queen of England in oirder to pay for  the treason of the Founding
Fathers.

You DO have to know that this nation was founded on treason to  the Crown,
don't you?

Maybe you should let the bitterness go.  ;-)

RE:  Treason in the Civil War.  About 1/3 of the  nation committed what we
would consider treason.  There were millions of  traitors all over the
country.

You can't really still hold a grudge about that, can  you?  ;-)

One reason the massive dominant Lincoln Memorial sits by  the Potomac is to
contain the inscription of Lincoln's Second Inaugural  Address.  Do you
know the primary reason why it is  important?

The purpose of the speech was to lay out the plan for the  RE-union of the
several states.  It was a spirit of forgiving  reconciliation.  In it A.L.
uses the famous phrase "Malice towards none and  charity for all".

He wanted welcome the Confs back into the Nation without  bitterness and
recrimination.

Yet by "a traitor museum" you would indicate bitterness,  recrimination and
malice.

Hey!   The war is over.  It ended about 150  years ago.  We've
reconstructed.  ;-)

The Northern gov't at the end of the war was faced with what  to do with
millions of Americans who were traitors to the Union.

It was either put them all in jail or forgive them and move  on.

We've moved on.  Malice towards none. ;-)

Let the traitor thing go.  Send them your book.  All  they do down there is
contribute to the story of the American Civil War and  rural life in
southern America.

Let it go.

Move on.  ;-)

I think the description "a traitor museum" is bizarre and  indicates a
fantastic misconception of the facts.

If you haven't been to the museum yet come to DC and I will  take you down
there.  Then you can buy lunch at one of the best North  Carolina barbecue
places you'll ever go to,  Lefty's in Waldorf.  My  tourists have called it
the best BBQ they have ever had.  They order extra  BBQ sauce and take it
home.

Lefty's....  N.C. is divided into 2 states.  One  part has one kind of BBQ
sauce.  The other has a different BBQ sauce.   All in the state of N.C.
They bicker about it all the time.  In the  western part of the state they make
their BBQ out of ketchup.  In the  east  they base it on vinegar.  Lefty's
is vinegar.  Damn  good.  Try the cole slaw and potato salad.

You should feel sorry for the people who live in the middle of  N.C.  If
they go to the wrong BBQ down there the other people call  them traitors.

Damn!   It's 9AM and now I am starving for Lefty's  BBQ!  I gotta go find
John Grim and go down there.

Damn!   ;-)

In a message dated 1/14/2012 11:50:02 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,