GDG- Killing Lincoln

CWMHTours at aol.com CWMHTours at aol.com
Sat Jan 14 21:03:16 CST 2012

Your BTW question is excellent and highly  provocative.

It's actually pretty fascinating to the point of  addiction.

My interest began in the early 1970s when my family moved to  DC and I
visited Fords for the first time.

In 1990 I volunteered for a short stretched at Fords (No  ghosts).

93 I became a licensed DC tourguide and began doing bus tours  of the
assassination.  At first I leaned towards Booth being more insane  than
clearheaded and calculating.

I had to answer a lot of questions.  While I  was tempted to make up fun
stories I tried  my  best to give an honest answer.

My Golden Rule in doing tours is to treat the  guest/visitors/tourists in a
reverse situation.  What would I want to hear  from the guide if I was the
tourist?

I am embarassed to say that once I forgot and told the  tourists they could
see the carvings in the plaster where Booth stuck his door  bar.  The
museum has been rebuilt.  How stupid of me.

Anyway, as I read and researched more I don't think Booth was  any more
insane than me, which is the best standard I can give.

But NOTE:  BOOTH was not the first to think of it.   Even before coming to
DC Lincoln got threats in the mail on an almost constant  basis.

After 18 years of professional research I side with the  assassinaton being
a cancelled kidnapping attempt in a last Hail Mary  effort to disturb the
Union gov't  at the end of the war by  decapitation.

BUT I also think there were 100s of plots over the years to  assassinate
Lincoln.

Some can be researched in " real history" books like James O.  Hall's et
all book "Come Retribution".

Some are speculative.  I think from Day 1 Jeff Davis et  all spoke without
being on the record about killing Lincoln.  It naturally  would be an option.

And individuals made their own meager efforts usually coming  to naught or
chickening out.

In Come Retribution after the Dahlgren/Kilpatrick raid  occurred the
Southern high command no longer ruled out Black Flag warfare-  attacking the
head-of-state.  The South delivered clothing contaminated by  Yellow Fever to the
W House.  Being conveyed by mosquitoes this didn't work  but those kinds of
efforts being made are significant.  (Just so you know,  mosquitos can't
carry a lot of clothes.  Joke!)

The Tayloes were founding fathers of DC.  The Octogon  House was the W
House for the Madisons after the W House was burned.   Tayloe's son built a
house 2 doors down from the house where Seward was nearly  killed.  In
Retribution Hall goes into it a bit.  Apparently it was a  safe house for spies on
Lafayette Square.  On their escape Booth and Herold  hid for 2 days at the
Nanjemoy plantation on the Pot R of the Hughes family who  were related to the
Tayloes and well known to Davcy Herold who'd been there  before many times.

Way cool!

I think the name was a Thomas or Joseph  Conrad, a spy sent up from Jeff
Davis.  He would stay at the Tayloe House  on L Sq. and hide behind trees
while he watched A.L. walk to the War  dept.

So Booth's attempt of only one of many  and the only one  pulled off and
actually quite successful.

P.S.  Believe what you want. I don't make this stuff  up.

In a message dated 1/14/2012 9:02:53 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,