GDG- 2/12/12 Ft Elsworth

John Grim jgrim1941 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 13:59:57 CST 2012

Esteemed Members

Ft. Ward was an earthen work fort with construction beginning in July 1861
and completed that Sept.  Restoration in 1962 has saved about 90-95% of the
entrenchments although erosion has taken its toll.  A number of trees have
been left in place as the root systems have done much to preserve the
entrenchments.  Ft. Ward was named for the first Union naval officer killed
at Mathias Point, Virginia (James H. Ward) who was mortally wounded while
removing a small flotilla to safety, by a Confederate sharpshooter.