GDG- GNMP to buy train station?

Margaret D. Blough mdblough1 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 14 13:42:36 CST 2012

Jeff-I think all but a very few want this. The Borough certainly does. It tried being the owner and operator of historic buildings with the Wills House and the Train Station and, while it very much wants these buildings preserved, doesn't want the burdens of owning aging, fragile buildings. Other than selling them privately, which it doesn't want for a variety of reasons, the only game in town is the NPS. The problem is that, with very minor exceptions, the NPS cannot own land outside of park boundaries under its enabling statute. That's why the statute had to be amended to let it acquire Wills House and would have to be amended to let it acquire the Lincoln Train Station.

Regards,

Margaret