GDG- O'Relly book filming for History channel

Margaret D. Blough mdblough1 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 14 08:32:09 CST 2012

Jack-If you look at what was available in terms of historical works at the time Michael Shaara wrote "The Killier Angels", he did pretty well in terms of historical accuracy, particularly in terms of not buying into the Lost Cause. Nevertheless, he did write it as a novel which enabled him to imagine, properly, thoughts and conversations for characters. Like you, I am comfortable with giving historical novelists a certain amount of slack. To me, the critical areas are staying true to the basic events and people involved, unless the author clearly bills it as altHistory, and makes you want to learn more about what really happened. "The Killer Angels" and the entire Hornblower series meet that test.

Regards,

Margaret