GDG- O'Relly book filming for History channel

CWMHTours at aol.com CWMHTours at aol.com
Fri Jan 13 17:33:10 CST 2012

SAee?  Everything about O'Reilly's book is true.   Quasi- or phony
historians such as O'Reilly and Gingrich should not be writing  about the Civil War.

In a message dated 1/13/2012 3:55:43 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
TerryBrasko at mindspring.com writes:

Esteemed  GDG Member Contributes:
>  "Killing Lincoln" was an outstanding  read as I was unaware of the entire
story, like most folks I knew the  general outline of what happened. Now I
have a much better understanding of  the facts.

>Lets hope this turns out better  then the Gettysburg program The  Scotts
did.

>Namaste

>Jeff Burk

Let's hope  they leave out the errors.  Here is the National Park  Service
Review:

Here is the full National Park Service  review:

Ford’s Theatre National Historic Site

Review of Killing  Lincoln, Bill O’Reilly and Martin Dugard

Reviewer for Ford’s Theatre  National Historic Site, Rae Emerson, Deputy
Superintendent

Eastern  National – Cooperating Association

History

Eastern National,  formerly known as Eastern National Park and Monument
Association, is a  501(C) (3) not-for-profit “cooperating association,”
that
supports the  National Park Service. Cooperating associations are recognized
by Congress  as a means to assist the educational and interpretive mission
of
the  National Park Service. Cooperating associations provide various
services,  primarily by procuring, distributing and selling educational
material in  retail outlets located in national parks . . . .

Products

The  products sold at Eastern National bookstores are a combination of
Eastern  National-produced items and merchandise purchased through outside
vendors,  including books, reproductions, apparel, and collectibles. All
products  sold in Eastern National retail outlets are evaluated by National
Park  Service interpreters for historical accuracy, quality, and relevance
park themes. Strict standards are maintained to ensure we offer the  finest
quality products that will enhance visitors’ experiences. As a  cooperating
association, Eastern National sells only products that the  National Park
Service has approved.

Reference: Eastern  National

Product Selection Criteria – Ford’s Theatre National Historic  Site

Relevance to park’s themes
Historically accurate
Publication  has relevant citations
Reflects scholarship; the use of primary resources  with documentation
Factual errors in publication

The following  errors are noted in chapters the reviewer was well versed in
the subject  matter. Other chapters may also have similar findings noted by
subject  matter experts or other reviewers. These observations are  not
included.

Errors are identified by chapter, followed by passage  where error is noted,
then followed by a fact comment, which is followed by  the reference for the
fact comment.

Prologue

“He furls his  brow . . . .” furl – nautical term to compact, roll up;
furrows – narrow  grove, depression on any surface, i.e., furrows of a
wrinkled  face

Chapter 15

“The two warriors will never meet  again.”

Fact comment:

On April 10, 1865 Generals Lee and Grant  met a second time at Appomattox
Court House, Virginia. At that second  meeting General Lee requested that
his
men be given evidence that they were  paroled prisoners – to protect them
from arrest or harassment. 28,231  parole passes were issued to
Confederates.

Reference:

Appomattox  Court House National Historical Park

Chapter 19

“After it  (Ford’s Theatre) was burned to the ground in 1863 . . . . . . .
“

Fact  comment:

December 30, 1862, fire broke out and gutted the interior  leaving only the
blackened walls  standing.

Reference:

Restoration of Ford’s Theatre (Historic  Structures Report, George J.
Olszewski, Ph.D, Historian, National Capital  Region, National Park Service;
1963; p. 11)

Chapter 21, 27,  etc.

“Grant meets with Lincoln in the Oval Office.”

“Lincoln  sitting in his Oval Office . . .”

Fact comment:

Oval Office  built in 1909 during Taft’s administration.

Chapter 30

“On the  nights when the Lincolns are in attendance  . . . . . . . . . and
portrait of George Washington faces out at the audience, designating  that
the president of the United States is in the house.”

Fact  comment:

Messenger arrived at the theatre from the White House about  10:30 a.m.
(April 14, 1865) to reserve the presidential box for the  performance that
evening.

Reference:

Restoration of Ford’s  Theatre (Historic Structures Report, George J.
Olszewski, Ph.D, Historian,  National Capital Region, National Park Service;
1963; p. 53)

“Ford  added an additional touch to these normal decorations of the
presidential  box when he placed a gilt-framed engraving of Washington its
central pillar  for the first time.”

Reference:

Restoration of Ford’s Theatre  (Historic Structures Report, George J.
Olszewski, Ph.D, Historian, National  Capital Region, National Park Service;
1963; p. 54)

“So Ford’s Opera  House, as the theater is formally known, is his (Booth)
permanent  address.”

Fact comment:

During the period from December 1861 –  February 1862, Ford rented the
theatre to George Christy, who advertised  the building as “The George
Christy Opera House”.

After renovating  the theatre in February 1862, the theatre reopened in
March
1862 under  Ford’s name: Ford’s Atheneum.

In February 1863 work started to rebuild  the theatre after the December 30,
1862 fire. The theatre known as “Ford’s  New Theatre” reopened on Thursday,
August 27, 1863 and later referred to as  Ford’s Theatre.

Reference:

Restoration of Ford’s Theatre  (Historic Structures Report, George J.
Olszewski, Ph.D, Historian, National  Capital Region, National Park Service;
1963; pages 7– 13)

“The state  box, where the Lincolns and Grants will site this evening, is
almost on the  stage itself . . . . . . . . . . distance traveled would be a
mere nine  feet.”

Fact Comment:

The presidential party occupied two boxes,  # 7 and #8 which, when combined,
are referred to as the presidential box;  the state boxes are build on the
stage proper; the distance from the state  box to the stage is 11 and ½ feet
to 12 feet depending on what end the box  is measured. This difference is
based on the rake or slant of the stage  towards the audience.

Reference:

Restoration of Ford’s Theatre  (Historic Structures Report, George J.
Olszewski, Ph.D, Historian, National  Capital Region, National Park Service;
1963; pp. 46, 51, 55)

“Booth  has performed here often and is more familiar with its hidden
backstage  tunnels . . . . .”

Comment:

Booth played twelve performances  from November 3 – 14, 1863. He will not
perform again at Ford’s Theatre  until March 18, 1865.

“In the southeast corner (of the stage) was a  two-foot wide stairway along
the south wall which led to the basement. This  stairway also provided
access
to the orchestra pit and unhindered  passageway from stage-right to
stage-left through the basement and by the  stairs along the north wall, to
the small exit door at the rear alley. The  passageway on stage-right varied
in width according to the manner in which  the scenery was piled along the
north wall to the rear door. Generally this  passageway was kept clear to
provide for an orderly movement of stage  scenery and for the unencumbered
entrance and exit of actors awaiting their  cues in the adjoining greenroom
in the north wing.  “

Reference:

Restoration of Ford’s Theatre (Historic Structures  Report, George J.
Olszewski, Ph.D, Historian, National Capital Region,  National Park Service;
1963; pp. 36, 47)

“The show (Our American  Cousin) has been presented eight pervious time at
Ford’s . . . . . .  .

Face comment:

Our American Cousin was performed seven times  prior to April 14, 1865: Jan
11 and 12, 1864; Mar 11 and 12 1864; Aug 4,  1864; Aug 6, 1864; Feb 25, 1865

Reference:

Restoration of Ford’s  Theatre (Historic Structures Report, George J.
Olszewski, Ph.D, Historian,  National Capital Region, National Park Service;
1963; pp. 111  -121)

Chapter 39

“Booth’s second act of preparation that  afternoon was using a pen knife to
carve a very small peephole in the back  wall of the state box. Now he looks
through the hole to get a better view  of the president.”

Fact comment:

“Despite all attempts to prove,  without success, that the hole in the door
to box 7 was bored by Booth that  same afternoon, a recent letter from Frank
Ford of New York City (to  Olszewski, April 13, 1962) may clarify the fact.
In part, his letter  states:

As I told you on your visit here in New York, I say again and  unequivocally
that John Wilkes Booth did not bore the hole in the door  leading to the box
President Lincoln occupied the night of the  assassination, April 14, 1865
.
. .

The hole was bored by my  father, Harry Clay Ford, or rather on his orders,
and was bored for the  very simple reason it would allow the guard, on
Parker, easy opportunity  whenever he so desired to look into the box rather
than to open the inner  door to check on the presidential party . .  ..

Reference:

Restoration of Ford’s Theatre (Historic Structures  Report, George J.
Olszewski, Ph.D, Historian, National Capital Region,  National Park Service;
1963; pp.55 -56)

Final  disposition:

Publication (Killing Lincoln) not recommended as a sales  item in the
Eastern
National Bookstore located in the Museum at Ford’s  Theatre National
Historic
because of the lack of documentation and the  factual errors within the
publication.

Terry  Brasko