GDG- O'Relly book filming for History channel

Terry Brasko TerryBrasko at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 13 14:55:45 CST 2012

>  "Killing Lincoln" was an outstanding read as I was unaware of the entire
story, like most folks I knew the general outline of what happened. Now I
have a much better understanding of the facts.

    >Lets hope this turns out better then the Gettysburg program The Scotts
did.

 >Namaste

>Jeff Burk

Let's hope they leave out the errors.  Here is the National Park Service
Review:

Here is the full National Park Service review:

Ford’s Theatre National Historic Site

Review of Killing Lincoln, Bill O’Reilly and Martin Dugard

Reviewer for Ford’s Theatre National Historic Site, Rae Emerson, Deputy
Superintendent

Eastern National – Cooperating Association

History

Eastern National, formerly known as Eastern National Park and Monument
Association, is a 501(C) (3) not-for-profit “cooperating association,” that
supports the National Park Service. Cooperating associations are recognized
by Congress as a means to assist the educational and interpretive mission of
the National Park Service. Cooperating associations provide various
services, primarily by procuring, distributing and selling educational
material in retail outlets located in national parks . . . .

Products

The products sold at Eastern National bookstores are a combination of
Eastern National-produced items and merchandise purchased through outside
vendors, including books, reproductions, apparel, and collectibles. All
products sold in Eastern National retail outlets are evaluated by National
Park Service interpreters for historical accuracy, quality, and relevance to
park themes. Strict standards are maintained to ensure we offer the finest
quality products that will enhance visitors’ experiences. As a cooperating
association, Eastern National sells only products that the National Park
Service has approved.

Reference: Eastern National

Product Selection Criteria – Ford’s Theatre National Historic Site

Relevance to park’s themes
Historically accurate
Publication has relevant citations
Reflects scholarship; the use of primary resources with documentation
Factual errors in publication

The following errors are noted in chapters the reviewer was well versed in
the subject matter. Other chapters may also have similar findings noted by
subject matter experts or other reviewers. These observations are not
included.

Errors are identified by chapter, followed by passage where error is noted,
then followed by a fact comment, which is followed by the reference for the
fact comment.

Prologue

“He furls his brow . . . .” furl – nautical term to compact, roll up;
furrows – narrow grove, depression on any surface, i.e., furrows of a
wrinkled face

Chapter 15

“The two warriors will never meet again.”

Fact comment:

On April 10, 1865 Generals Lee and Grant met a second time at Appomattox
Court House, Virginia. At that second meeting General Lee requested that his
men be given evidence that they were paroled prisoners – to protect them
from arrest or harassment. 28,231 parole passes were issued to Confederates.

Reference:

Appomattox Court House National Historical Park

Chapter 19

“After it (Ford’s Theatre) was burned to the ground in 1863 . . . . . . . “

Fact comment:

December 30, 1862, fire broke out and gutted the interior leaving only the
blackened walls standing.

Reference:

Restoration of Ford’s Theatre (Historic Structures Report, George J.
Olszewski, Ph.D, Historian, National Capital Region, National Park Service;
1963; p. 11)

Chapter 21, 27, etc.

“Grant meets with Lincoln in the Oval Office.”

“Lincoln sitting in his Oval Office . . .”

Fact comment:

Oval Office built in 1909 during Taft’s administration.

Chapter 30

“On the nights when the Lincolns are in attendance  . . . . . . . . . and a
portrait of George Washington faces out at the audience, designating that
the president of the United States is in the house.”

Fact comment:

Messenger arrived at the theatre from the White House about 10:30 a.m.
(April 14, 1865) to reserve the presidential box for the performance that
evening.

Reference:

Restoration of Ford’s Theatre (Historic Structures Report, George J.
Olszewski, Ph.D, Historian, National Capital Region, National Park Service;
1963; p. 53)

“Ford added an additional touch to these normal decorations of the
presidential box when he placed a gilt-framed engraving of Washington its
central pillar for the first time.”

Reference:

Restoration of Ford’s Theatre (Historic Structures Report, George J.
Olszewski, Ph.D, Historian, National Capital Region, National Park Service;
1963; p. 54)

“So Ford’s Opera House, as the theater is formally known, is his (Booth)
permanent address.”

Fact comment:

During the period from December 1861 – February 1862, Ford rented the
theatre to George Christy, who advertised the building as “The George
Christy Opera House”.

After renovating the theatre in February 1862, the theatre reopened in March
1862 under Ford’s name: Ford’s Atheneum.

In February 1863 work started to rebuild the theatre after the December 30,
1862 fire. The theatre known as “Ford’s New Theatre” reopened on Thursday,
August 27, 1863 and later referred to as Ford’s Theatre.

Reference:

Restoration of Ford’s Theatre (Historic Structures Report, George J.
Olszewski, Ph.D, Historian, National Capital Region, National Park Service;
1963; pages 7– 13)

“The state box, where the Lincolns and Grants will site this evening, is
almost on the stage itself . . . . . . . . . . distance traveled would be a
mere nine feet.”

Fact Comment:

The presidential party occupied two boxes, # 7 and #8 which, when combined,
are referred to as the presidential box; the state boxes are build on the
stage proper; the distance from the state box to the stage is 11 and ½ feet
to 12 feet depending on what end the box is measured. This difference is
based on the rake or slant of the stage towards the audience.

Reference:

Restoration of Ford’s Theatre (Historic Structures Report, George J.
Olszewski, Ph.D, Historian, National Capital Region, National Park Service;
1963; pp. 46, 51, 55)

“Booth has performed here often and is more familiar with its hidden
backstage tunnels . . . . .”

Comment:

Booth played twelve performances from November 3 – 14, 1863. He will not
perform again at Ford’s Theatre until March 18, 1865.

“In the southeast corner (of the stage) was a two-foot wide stairway along
the south wall which led to the basement. This stairway also provided access
to the orchestra pit and unhindered passageway from stage-right to
stage-left through the basement and by the stairs along the north wall, to
the small exit door at the rear alley. The passageway on stage-right varied
in width according to the manner in which the scenery was piled along the
north wall to the rear door. Generally this passageway was kept clear to
provide for an orderly movement of stage scenery and for the unencumbered
entrance and exit of actors awaiting their cues in the adjoining greenroom
in the north wing. “

Reference:

Restoration of Ford’s Theatre (Historic Structures Report, George J.
Olszewski, Ph.D, Historian, National Capital Region, National Park Service;
1963; pp. 36, 47)

“The show (Our American Cousin) has been presented eight pervious time at
Ford’s . . . . . . .

Face comment:

Our American Cousin was performed seven times prior to April 14, 1865: Jan
11 and 12, 1864; Mar 11 and 12 1864; Aug 4, 1864; Aug 6, 1864; Feb 25, 1865

Reference:

Restoration of Ford’s Theatre (Historic Structures Report, George J.
Olszewski, Ph.D, Historian, National Capital Region, National Park Service;
1963; pp. 111 -121)

Chapter 39

“Booth’s second act of preparation that afternoon was using a pen knife to
carve a very small peephole in the back wall of the state box. Now he looks
through the hole to get a better view of the president.”

Fact comment:

“Despite all attempts to prove, without success, that the hole in the door
to box 7 was bored by Booth that same afternoon, a recent letter from Frank
Ford of New York City (to Olszewski, April 13, 1962) may clarify the fact.
In part, his letter states:

As I told you on your visit here in New York, I say again and unequivocally
that John Wilkes Booth did not bore the hole in the door leading to the box
President Lincoln occupied the night of the assassination, April 14, 1865  .
. .

The hole was bored by my father, Harry Clay Ford, or rather on his orders,
and was bored for the very simple reason it would allow the guard, on
Parker, easy opportunity whenever he so desired to look into the box rather
than to open the inner door to check on the presidential party . . ..

Reference:

Restoration of Ford’s Theatre (Historic Structures Report, George J.
Olszewski, Ph.D, Historian, National Capital Region, National Park Service;
1963; pp.55 -56)

Final disposition:

Publication (Killing Lincoln) not recommended as a sales item in the Eastern
National Bookstore located in the Museum at Ford’s Theatre National Historic
because of the lack of documentation and the factual errors within the
publication.

Terry Brasko