GDG- Dead soldiers and looting

Tom Barrett tbarrett21 at
Wed Jan 11 18:46:06 CST 2012

I usually went for the gold teeth first...

Seriously, all that stuff is done, but discouraged if there happens to be
anybody with authority around.  Just like the more recent Abu Ghraib
experience, under violent circumstances a different sense of morality seems
to take over.

Actually, I think more modern (SE Asia forward) US soldiers, with some
exceptions, tend to be a little more squeamish and a little more civilized
about that sort of thing than their WW II counterparts.  A lot of people
pick up souvenirs, but not so much body parts.

In any war, CW included, there will be people looking to pick up something
of value or something they can use.

The Marines, now, in addition to eating babies and using improvised candle
holders...but that's off topic...

-----Original Message-----
From: gettysburg-bounces at [mailto:gettysburg-bounces at]
On Behalf Of George Connell
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 7:24 PM
Subject: Re: GDG- Dead soldiers and looting

Esteemed GDG Member Contributes:
Well, we certainly didn't have any qualms about doing so in the Great
Southeast Asian Sub-optimizing Experience that we are not to mention in this
group. Though I must stress we were usually looking for something to eat
other than C-rations.

I think if you've just killed someone the other stuff is of no moral
consequence (but not to be encouraged because it's bad for discipline).

On Jan 11, 2012, at 19:03, CWMHTours at wrote:

> Esteemed GDG Member Contributes:
> I don't know about anybody else  but if I was a CW  soldier and a friend
> mine, -or a strange corpse,  had money and  valuables on them, I would be
> unsure- and uncertain as to the moral  quandary:  Morally should you even
> take anything at all or leave it out of  principle?   Should you take it
> because someone else will take it if  you leave it?
> It is 2012 and no longer Victorian times but what should you  do about
> stealing from corpses?
> Actually I have always had an issue with it that upsets my  tummy.
> We have vets in here....  With my apologies for intruding  with the
> question what would YOU do?
> Your  Most Obedient Servant,
> Peter
-to unsubscri