GDG- looting of the dead

Charles T. Joyce CTJoyce at spearwilderman.com
Wed Jan 11 14:10:15 CST 2012

For what its worth, just about every image I've every seen of Civil War
dead seems to show so evidence of being "rifled."  I think, especially
as the war dragged on, the living tended to view the dead more and more
abstractly.

I am reminded of one less commonly displayed Gettysburg death image from
the bottom of the triangular field (the Timbers Farm can be seen faintly
in the background - it is in Early Photography at Gettysburg but not A
Journey in Time).  There is a dead Confederate laying face down next to
almost a cave-like structure of boulders, and beside that, neatly laid
out, is wood for a fire. So, it appears that on the evening of July 2
(or 3rd) some Confederates had a camp fire within a few feet of where
one of there own had fallen.
That has always somewhat amazed me.