GDG- looting of the dead

CWMHTours at aol.com CWMHTours at aol.com
Wed Jan 11 14:00:44 CST 2012

After all this kerfluffle over the Harvest of Death I am  wondering?:

How common was looting of dead bodies during/after a battle  was it?  It is
common to see pix of corpses with pockets inside out,  etc?

Usually I know everything but now I am perplexed.

I would think that if it was your friend you would go through  his pockets
for things to send back to his family and stuff like poker cards and  dice
to not send them.

Then what do you do with his money?  Send it to his  family?  Did they
always send it to the family?

His haversack.  Food.  Necessities.  Share that  with messmates?

What if you are out in the woods somewhere and you see a  corpse in the
uniform of your side?  What do you do?  Look for ID- a  bible perhaps?  What
about money, food, pocket watches?  What do you  do?

What if you encounter, by yourself in the woods, a freshly  killed enemy?
Go through his pockets?  What do you keep?  What  do you do with everything?

Interesting moral issues here.  It was Victorian  times.  Would they have
handled things differently than we would  now?

My knickers are starting to get into a know now wondering  about this.