GDG- skirmish line vs line of battle

Charles T. Joyce CTJoyce at spearwilderman.com
Wed Jan 11 12:39:49 CST 2012

According to Hartwig's series, Major Biddle of the 121st PA reported
that his regiment received "a crushing fire" from the 52d NC of
Pettigrew's Brigade, and lost 14 KIA on July 1 on East McPherson Ridge.
The 20th NYSM, on the immediate left, lost 24 KIA, most, again, in the
fight on the Ridge.

I would submit that description and those numbers are consistent with
what we see in these photographs.

Note also that 121st "changed front to the left", and it also appears
that the bodies in the far distance are facing in that direction.