GDG- Distinction of "Frock Coats": WAS Shead's Woods and the "Harvest of Death" photograph

Stuart Johnson stueypark at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 9 18:44:41 CST 2012

Here's a quick picture I threw together of the 3 different basic uniforms that would have been the most common in the Federal army at Gettysburg. You would of course have some such as zouaves and berdans in unique uniforms but they were the exception.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa244/jcrusby/f7a9bc83.jpg

My image is missing it but the frock coat also had a small brass tab on the shoulder designed to hold on the ornate shoulder scales that would be worn on parade. This brass tab can be seen in the original photograph.

So of course knowing what kind of uniform a regiment was wearing at Gettysburg was important when looking at pictures like these because it helps to greatly narrow down who may be pictured.