GDG- the "Harvest of Death" photograph

keith mackenzie bluzdad at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 9 17:55:52 CST 2012

I'm home with every available book I have concerning the 5th NJ. I've run out of bookmarks. Evidently, the entire regiment was deployed as skirmishers. The monument lists their killed as 18. would it be fair to assume the majority of these died while on the skirmish line? They evidently put up a stiff resistance . Would the skirmish line have been widely separated, or during the withdrawal to the emmitsburg road, would they have bunched together? Was CW photograph good enough to give a good indication of scale?, IE, the distance between the bodies? the images in the foreground are Union, does that necessarily mean the background are union as well?
I know this is probably a fruitless line of inquiry, but it's got my attention.
K.

"Hello! I'm The Doctor."
(Dr. Who)

   Charles T. Joyce <CTJoyce at spearwilderman.com>