GDG- Distinction of "Frock Coats": WAS Shead's Woods and the "Harvest of Death" photograph

Andy Mills amills at
Mon Jan 9 14:24:29 CST 2012

I have to ask:  what is a "frock coat" and why is this such an important distinction?  What type of coats were they wearing by this time (or at least should have been)?

From: Charles T. Joyce <CTJoyce at>
To: GDG <gettysburg at>
Sent: Monday, January 9, 2012 2:43 PM
Subject: Re: GDG- Shead's Woods and the "Harvest of Death" photograph

Esteemed GDG Member Contributes:
First of all, I think the whole "frock coat" argument proves too much.  Look at this iconic image of Co. K, 1st Pa. Reserves, about 10 days before the battle:

I count about 12 frock coats in the first row. Point is, I'll wager that quite a number of units still had a handful of soldiers wearing them.

Second, I'm more persuaded that the dead are in a line of battle, as opposed to a skirmish line.  That's a lot of dead skirmishers, and awfully close together. -to unsubscribe for Archives