GDG- Shead's Woods and the "Harvest of Death" photograph

Charles T. Joyce CTJoyce at spearwilderman.com
Mon Jan 9 13:43:25 CST 2012

First of all, I think the whole "frock coat" argument proves too much.  Look at this iconic image of Co. K, 1st Pa. Reserves, about 10 days before the battle: http://www.civilwarintheeast.com/PhotoGallery/PA30.php

I count about 12 frock coats in the first row. Point is, I'll wager that quite a number of units still had a handful of soldiers wearing them.

Second, I'm more persuaded that the dead are in a line of battle, as opposed to a skirmish line.  That's a lot of dead skirmishers, and awfully close together.