GDG- THE LIST: Gettysburg, Snipping, Movies, Slavery, Common Courtesy & Principles of Adult Learning

Michael DiLauro madpd2001 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 8 10:44:18 CST 2012

Dennis (Mr. Lawrence?):

You hit the nail right on the head. Immediately after a short discourse on the benefits of snipping we have an un-snipped albeit occasionally humorous exchange that has little if anything to do with Gettysburg. Bear with me as I 'loop' back to a prior discussion...

During the summer of 2010 and again during the early Fall of 2011 I visited the GNMP VC. I saw the movie both times. I don't remember much (and nothing at all about its treatment of slavery) about it. I remember liking it. I know that it did inspire me to go through the exhibits and the battlefield more closely than I might have otherwise. I believe that is its primary purpose.

I have been privilged to train criminal defense lawyers (both public and private) for more than a decade. Educating adults (something that others in this group have done in slightly different contexts whether it be on the Tourmobile, LBG, etc.) poses unique challenges. Lawyers in particular are difficult. Most think they know everything already. Few do. Maybe others in this group have experienced the same in their roles. But one of the first things I learned early on is that "its not about you". Its about the people you are training and giving the information and skills that they need to do their jobs better. Giving them stuff that not only interests them but what they can actually use. Another is that adults learn best when printed materials, visual, and sound are combined. A combination of different methods, content, and context work best when tailored to the audience. One of the things that DOESN'T work is lengthy lectures and reams of written
 material especially if its stuff that interests only you.

Recognizing the inherent limitations of this listserve this is my very roundabout way of suggesting the following when you post:

#1 - DON'T LECTURE; THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE WRITING BEFORE, DURING & AFTER YOU HIT 'SEND'

#2 - SNIP YOUR POSTS SO PEOPLE LIKE ME CAN AND WILL ACTUALLY READ AND LEARN FROM THEM

#3 - BE COURTEOUS; THINK ABOUT YOUR AUDIENCE

Thanks for allowing me to go far afield.

Mike

CONTACT INFORMATION // OFFICE

Michael A. DiLauro
Assistant Public Defender //
Director of Training & Legislative Liaison
Office of the Public Defender
160 Pine Street
Providence, RI   02903
401-222-3492 // 401-222-1526 [PRIVATE LINE]
401-487-3644 [CELL] // 401-222-3289 [FAX]
mdilauro at ripd.org [E-MAIL // WORK]
====
This email and any attachments thereto
may contain private, confidential, and
privileged material for the sole use of the
intended recipient. Any review, copying,
or distribution of this email (or any
attachments thereto) by other than the
intended recipient is strictly prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient,
please contact the sender immediately
and permanently delete the original and
any copies of this email and any