GDG- cannon restoration

Eileen Murphy manassas1 at
Sat Jan 7 14:23:18 CST 2012

Nancy and All......

During one of our past GDG Musters, we took a tour of the cannon restoration facility.  It's amazing to see the process and the work done by the dedicated volunteers.

Eileen Murphy

GDG Board Member

----- Original Message -----

From: "Nancy Householder" <pipecreek1430 at>
To: "Gettysburg Discussion" <gettysburg at>
Sent: Saturday, January 7, 2012 2:31:10 PM
Subject: GDG- cannon restoration

Esteemed GDG Member Contributes:
Hey all- check out for Jan 5 & 6 for a look at the cannon restoration process.
It is very cool!  I didn't realize how much work goes into each restoration.  And of course the carriages
were orignially put onto the field in the 1890's so that is a lot of wear and tear on these pieces over
the years.  He says in one of the videos that there are approx 400 carriages and cannons on the field,
and they have about 130 yet to go to have all of them restored. That doesn't count the ones they
are currently working on.

Nancy Householder