GDG- Black Republicans

Nancy Householder pipecreek1430 at
Sat Jan 7 13:04:23 CST 2012

That is exactly why I referred to the Black Republicans. That was the term the southern politicians used to convince
everyone to vote for seccsion  and creating the Confederacy.

Nancy H

 From: "joadx1 at" <joadx1 at>
To: gettysburg at
Sent: Friday, January 6, 2012 6:18 PM
Subject: Re: GDG- Black Republicans
Esteemed GDG Member Contributes:
I think what you mean to refer to are the "Radical Republicans" (men like Ben Wade and Thaddeus Steven) who are lot more popular with academic historians than they are with the popular ones.

But "Black Republicans" was a term used by southerners as a blanket condemnation of the entire Republican party, with Abraham Lincoln being the "blackest" of them all.  And I've run across some good things said about him here and there.