GDG- Slavery in the South

atmackeyjr at aol.com atmackeyjr at aol.com
Fri Jan 6 19:02:15 CST 2012

A third of all families in the seceded states were slave-owning families.  Looking at just the slaveowner is a distorted view.  Let's say a slaveowner owned 1,000 slaves and he and his wife had 10 children.  If we're to look only at the slaveowner, then less than 10% of that group of people owned slaves, and the rest didn't own a single slave.  Yet I'm sure all will agree every member of that family had a personal interest in maintaining the institution of slavery.

About 40% of the Army of Northern Virginia, according to Joe Glatthaar, were from slave-owning families.

While the typical slave owner only owned a few slaves, the typical slave was on a large plantation.

Best Regards,
Al Mackey