GDG- Black Republicans

joadx1 at netscape.net joadx1 at netscape.net
Fri Jan 6 17:18:49 CST 2012

I think what you mean to refer to are the "Radical Republicans" (men like Ben Wade and Thaddeus Steven) who are lot more popular with academic historians than they are with the popular ones.

But "Black Republicans" was a term used by southerners as a blanket condemnation of the entire Republican party, with Abraham Lincoln being the "blackest" of them all.  And I've run across some good things said about him here and there.