GDG- Shead's Woods and the "Harvest of Death" photograph

William Baetz wbaetz at mac.com
Fri Jan 6 12:50:29 CST 2012

You are correct Keith. I was at the Mine that evening, and as I
recall, Bill spoke about both topics. Moreso about the destruction of
the railroad cut however, and I think he talked for nearly an hour
about that (I enjoyed every minute of that btw).

Regarding the harvest of death, I don't recall him giving any kind of
broad overview of his issues with Scott Hartwig's theory. I think he
spoke mainly about one issue, the timing and details of Gardner's trip
to Gettysburg from Maryland, and specifically the fact that Hartwig
made references to Bill's Journey in Time, and neglected to notice
that many of those details had been corrected in his later book Early
Photography at Gettysburg. I think Bill was peeved that Scott
apparently never read or referenced his later work.

I have never been present for a detailed discussion about harvest of
death by Frazz, but I did ask him once about 4 years ago about the
proposed location of the Henry Spangler farm, and he replied that
there were problems with that site. I didn't ask him to elaborate and
he didn't offer any more detail at that time. It was last call at the
Mine, and I think the bartender was not happy that I was asking Bill
about the harvest of death at last call. :-)

Bill in Indy