GDG- Shead's Woods and the "Harvest of Death" photograph

cooke1863 at comcast.net cooke1863 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 6 12:18:39 CST 2012

>From "Journey in Time", pg. 226:

"I have never been able to establish beyond a doubt even an approximate location of these two groups of Gardner photographs......my considered guess is that this specific point was situated somewhere in the open fields on the southern extreme o f the field, near the Rose farm and close to the Emmitsburg Road."

>From "Early Photography at Gettysburg", p.315:

"I must admit that I remain completely perplexed.....the frustrating inability of anyone to convinc ingly locate this site anywhere on the battlefield today forces us to leave the door open to all conceivable possibilities. "

In both books he disputed assertions that the dead soldiers were on the first day's field.

These ma y be the only photographs of dead Union soldiers on the field. If all these bodies are Union, i.e. there are no unburied Confederate dead in this vicinity, then either there were no Confederate deaths in this area during the battle, a relatively unlikely scenario , or else this   spot was within Confederate lines. This would have  allowed the ANV time to bury their comrades. This is another circumstantial piece of evidence that points to the relative safety of the ground west of the ER ridge as the possible site, where any Confederate dead would have been buried at this site or removed from the field and buried farther behind the lines.

JC